17 February 2026

NACC's investigation into the Robodebt Six is over and they have been informed ... What now?

| By Chris Johnson
Join the conversation
22
Man at podium

The National Anti-Corruption Commission, headed by Commissioner Paul Brereton, has all but concluded its investigations into the Robodebt Six. Photo: Screenshot.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission has reached its findings on six individuals, as yet unnamed, whom the Royal Commission into the Robodebt Scheme referred for investigation.

It is understood that the draft findings have been distributed to the subjects of the investigation, and the NACC is preparing to release their names once responses have been received.

The Saturday Paper’s Jason Koutsoukis broke the story on the weekend, saying a final determination over whether any or all of the six engaged in corrupt conduct is about to be made.

Region has subsequently confirmed through its own sources that the report is imminent and names are likely to be exposed.

The six were named in a sealed section of Royal Commissioner Catherine Holmes’ report delivered in July 2023

The NACC neither confirms nor denies that its investigation is all but concluded and is making no comment on the individuals concerned.

“The Commission has previously confirmed that an investigation into the Robodebt Royal Commission referrals is underway,” a NACC spokesperson told Region.

“Beyond this, it is not appropriate for us to comment further.

“We do not generally comment on the status of ongoing investigations, as to do so may compromise operational activities or unfairly impact reputations.”

READ ALSO Taylor wants a good look at government spending – and the public service

The NACC Act requires that individuals be given the opportunity to respond to findings made against them before they are made public.

Adverse findings in the case of any of the so-called Robodebt Six could recommend criminal prosecution.

When referring the six to the NACC, the royal commission included recommendations for further investigation.

Five of the individuals were senior public servants, while one was a former Coalition government minister.

Of the politicians who gave evidence to the royal commission, former ministers Stuart Robert and Alan Tudge have publicly stated that they had been informed their names were not included in the report’s sealed section.

This has led to speculation that the sixth person, by process of elimination, could be former prime minister Scott Morrison, who initiated the Robodebt scheme when he was the social services minister in 2015.

Mr Morrison has rejected all of the royal commission’s public criticisms of his handling and involvement in the scheme.

But he has made no statement on whether he was told he was named in the sealed section.

Former Department of Human Services secretaries Kathryn Campbell and Renée Leon were both named by the Australian Public Service Commission following its 2024 investigation.

The APSC found both to have breached the public service code of conduct in their handling of Robodebt and had failed in their obligations a total of 25 times during their tenures.

They were not subject to APS sanctions, however, as by then, they were both former public servants.

Australian Federal Police investigated allegations that a witness to the royal commission provided false testimony, but concluded there was not enough evidence to charge anyone. No one has been named through the NACC process yet.

READ ALSO NACC Inspector launches another investigation into its Commissioner

The federal corruption watchdog initially decided, after almost a year of silence, not to investigate any of the six people referred to it.

It announced that decision with a one-page press release on 6 June 2024.

Subsequent public outcry prompted an investigation by the NACC’s independent Inspector, Gail Furness.

That investigation found that NACC Commissioner Paul Brereton erred by failing to properly recuse himself from deliberations, given his perceived conflict of interest arising from having dealings with one of the referred.

The NACC was then forced to conduct an investigation into the Robodebt Six following an independent review of its initial refusal to pursue any of them.

The Robodebt automated debt recovery scheme was piloted in 2015 and fully rolled out between 2016 and 2019 by the Department of Human Services and its successor, Services Australia, with more than 470,000 false debts issued.

It caused extensive grief and trauma. Some recipients are reported to have taken their own lives over the debts.

It was officially scrapped in 2020, with the promise that outstanding debts would be refunded in full.

After Labor won office in 2022, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese launched a royal commission into the scheme.

Almost three years after the royal commission delivered its final report, along with recommendations and a sealed section, there is finally the prospect of someone actually being held to account.

Free Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? We package the most-read Canberra stories and send them to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.
Loading
By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.

Join the conversation

22
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
LatestOldest
Mordd The Truthsayer3:44 pm 17 Feb 26

Government accountability isn’t dead… it was never truly alive to begin with. Political vapourware.

Bill Shorten created the data matching system in 2011. Perhaps he’s one of the six.

“The automation of this process will free up resources and result­ in more people being referred to the tax garnishee process, retrieving more outstanding debt on behalf of taxpayers,” Mr Shorten said at the time.

Wasnt Shorten a major player in NDIS as well.

Come on Penfold.

While I appreciate your… sense of humour, I think we all have a fair idea of who will be on that list.

Shorten may have conceptualised the data matching, but it took a truly soulless liberal government to force it into BAU and victimise societies most vulnerable.

I’m sure that you, like most of us, are hoping to see Scomo, Kathryn Campbell, Stuart Robert, Alan Tudge, Renee Leon and maybe even Christian Porter being dealt with by… someone.

Obviously not our NACC Commissioner given his conflicts…

Actually it was Chris Bowen who steered the it through Cabinet.

Okay Bernard, you’ve got me there.

But I do feel a bit sorry for the public servants if indeed they were taking instructions from the pollies. Wonder if we’ll ever know.

No-one, not even public servants, are obliged to act unlawfully just because they were so ordered. If an order is legal but contrary to personal values/morals, then the best course is to resign. These were not people who lived day-to-day on low wages. Perhaps they truely believed no law was broken although that is debatable. But, still, they could have resigned in protest at the government’s policy. Instead they decided to implement policies that were expressly intended by government to hurt other people; to stigmatise and target people unable to defend themselves. Hopefully, a good case of misfeasance in office can be made.

I personally doubt we will ever know but there is always room for hope.

As for the public servants I have very limited sympathy. Nuremberg established that “I was just carrying out orders” is an insufficient defence.

Well Bernard how far would you like to take this ? Pink batts far ? Spending explosion leading to interest rate hikes far ? Have there been any direct fatalities because of that or our standard of living catastrophe ? What about our energy poverty crisis – maybe go there too ?

Nuremberg was war, robodebt was not. And much as you won’t like this comment, from my understanding everyone impacted by robodebt hadn’t fulfilled their reporting obligations and was – prima facie – taking taxpayer money they weren’t entitled to.

Of course we don’t want to pick on those struggling the most in our society but comparing this to Nuremberg was above and beyond ridiculous.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Region Canberra stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.