18 February 2026

UPDATE: Window smashed, suspicious package reported during major defence conference at Hyatt

| By Claire Sams and Andrew McLaughlin
Start the conversation
Various police cars outside The Hyatt Hotel

ACT Policing say officers arrived just before 9 am today (18 February). Photo: Claire Fenwicke.

UPDATE, 2 pm – Some attendees of the annual ADM Congress defence conference initially thought there was a shooter when multiple items were thrown through a window at the Hyatt Hotel Canberra this morning (Wednesday, 18 February).

Keynote speaker Defence Industry Minister Pat Conroy was addressing the conference hosted by Australian Defence Magazine when Australian Federal Police (AFP) asked several hundred delegates to leave the ballroom venue after the reported discovery of a suspicious package.

The evacuation follows an incident earlier in the day between the end of an address from former Defence Minister Christopher Pyne and a speech by Navy Chief Vice Admiral Mark Hammond, when a rock smashed through a window at the venue.

Some delegates initially feared it was gunshots.

The incidents occurred on a day when the Students and Staff Against War (SSAW) ANU and the Independent and Peaceful Australia Network (IPAN) had planned to hold a protest at the front of the hotel at 4.30 this afternoon.

It is not yet known if the incidents and the planned rally are linked.

READ ALSO Vietnamese comfort food and friendly vibe at Lyneham's Chimida

In a post published on the Green Left website, the protest organisers are calling for sanctions on Israel, for the removal of restrictions on Palestine protests and on the right to criticise Israel, for the government to cut all ties with organisations it says are complicit in genocide, and for the ANU to end collaboration with defence companies it claims are complicit in genocide, citing Canberra-based EOS and Northrop Grumman as examples.

“The ADM congress is sponsored by Electro Optic Systems, an arms company exporting R400 systems used by Israel, and includes speakers from EOS, BAE Systems, Palantir and other complicit arms and surveillance companies,” the website claims, adding that speakers at the rally would include SSAW, IPAN, and an ANU Student Association Education Officer.

During a press conference in Tasmania this morning, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was asked about the protest at the Hyatt.

“I think I continue to just say, people need to turn the temperature down, politicians and people – that does nothing to advance a cause, that just alienates people from whatever the supposed cause that this this person has done.

“People who break the law also should face the full force of the law.”

Wednesday, 18 February, 12:30 pm – The AFP bomb squad has been called to a major Defence conference at Canberra’s Hyatt Hotel after multiple items were allegedly thrown through a window, causing damage.

An ACT Policing spokesperson confirmed that officers, including the bomb squad, were responding to the incident in Yarralumla.

They were called to the hotel at about 8:55 this morning (18 February).

The police spokesperson said an unknown number of items were thrown through a window, causing what was described as “minor property damage”.

Police also believe rocks were thrown.

More than 10 police cars are in the area, and police are continuing their investigations into the incident.

On Wednesday, the Hyatt Hotel was hosting the ADM Congress, a major Defence conference.

It is understood Minister for Defence Industry Pat Conroy was set to give a ministerial address at the conference and was among those evacuated from the hotel.

READ ALSO NBN kicks copper to the kerb: 99 per cent of Canberra homes to get full fibre internet

The ADM Events website describes the event as a major conference, with sessions including addresses from State and Federal politicians, business leaders and other experts.

“The Congress is the pivotal event in the Australian defence calendar focussing on future capability requirements, major acquisition projects, sustainment, regional geopolitics, and national security issues,” the website states.

A spokesperson for Mr Conroy said people should avoid violent actions.

“Protests are part of democracy,” they said in a statement to Region.

“We accept that and support that, but they should always be conducted in a non-violent way.”

It is understood the conference is continuing.

More to come.

Free Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? We package the most-read Canberra stories and send them to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.
Loading
By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Region Canberra stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.