
A Campbell man’s been arrested as part of the investigation into the items thrown through a window at the Hyatt Hotel on 18 February. Photo: Claire Fenwicke.
A Campbell man’s been accused of being part of an alleged plot to disrupt a conference by throwing a lit incendiary device into the Hyatt Hotel earlier this week.
The hotel was hosting the ADM Conference, a major Defence gathering, on Wednesday (18 February) when two males allegedly threw rocks and other items through a window.
The resulting investigation led to the arrest of a 20-year-old man after the ACT Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) executed search warrants at homes at Campbell and Scullin yesterday (20 February).
Various items were seized from the properties and are undergoing forensic examination.
The Campbell man’s been charged with one count of acting with intent to cause public alarm and one count of damage property. These offences each carry a maximum penalty of 10 years’ imprisonment.
The ACT JCTT comprises of the AFP, ACT Policing and ASIO.
The AFP Bomb Response Team seized the incendiary device and a forensic examination is ongoing.
Police have alleged the incident was intended to cause panic and fear among attendees of a conference being held at the hotel.
AFP Assistant Commissioner Steve Nutt said the ACT JCTT investigation was continuing and would pursue enquiries to locate the other individuals involved.
Further charges have not been ruled out.
“Let me be clear – this was not a prank. This was an extremely dangerous act we allege was intended to, and did, have a chilling effect on conference attendees, as well as staff and other guests of the hotel,” he said.
“We will not tolerate criminal behaviour or actions which advocate hatred, fear, violence and humiliation, and attempt to erode Australia’s social fabric.
“Those allegedly involved are now the focus of our joint counter terrorism investigators, and their skills and dogged determination.”
ACT Policing Deputy Chief Police Officer Paula Hudson said anyone with information about this incident, or other suspicious matters, should contact the relevant authorities.
“We take a zero-tolerance approach to acts that seek to disrupt lawful activities and cause fear in the community,” she said.
“Every piece of information is valuable to law enforcement, and I would urge anyone with relevant information to contact the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.”
Information which may assist the ACT JCTT with their ongoing inquiries can be provided via the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.


















