
Vanessa Turnbull-Roberts started in the role in 2024. Photo: Supplied.
The ACT’s former Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Young People Commissioner has claimed she was both sexually harassed and assaulted “by a public servant” while serving in the role.
Vanessa Turnbull-Roberts made the statement in a media release and on LinkedIn, stating this is what led to her resignation less than two years into the five-year term.
“This was a dream role, and it was never about the title. I was the youngest person ever appointed to a statutory position in this country, and I carried the responsibility with care, pride, a commitment to children’s rights, Indigenous rights, and family safety,” she said.
“I departed this role for one reason only: my physical and psychological safety, and this in turn determined what is in the best interests of my family.
“During my term, I was subjected to sexual harassment and sexual assault in Canberra by a public servant, making it necessary to prioritise my safety. This conduct has no place in any workplace.”
NSW Police confirmed to Region that it had received a report.
“NSW Police received a report on Friday (13 February 2026) of an alleged historical sexual harassment and are liaising with ACT Policing,” they said.
“No further information is available.”
(Author’s note: the public is able to report allegations to their nearest police station, which isn’t necessarily always where the alleged offending occurred).
Ms Turnbull-Roberts had been on approved extended leave since July 2025, before resigning in December.
The Bundjalung woman spoke out after an article reported that senior members of Canberra’s First Nations community had written to several ministers raising concerns about her “part-time presence” in the role.
There were also allegations that staff were leaving her office due to leadership issues, and complaints that she was more interested in bolstering her national profile than in addressing issues affecting the Territory’s First Nations youth and children.
“A recent media report speculating about my absence in Canberra and attributing my departure to anything other than my safety – and that of my family – is both incorrect and harmful,” Ms Turnbull-Roberts said.
“It misrepresented the reality of my decision and caused me further harm. Taking steps to protect one’s health and safety should never be distorted or weaponised. No one leaves work of this significance without reason.”
Region has previously requested to see the letters that were sent to ministers.
The ACT Government was not able to directly respond to Ms Turnbull-Roberts’ allegations, stating employment and personal information was protected under the Information Privacy Act 2014.
“The ACT Government takes issues relating to the physical and psycho-social safety of staff extremely seriously and no form of harassment or assault is acceptable in the workplace,” a spokesperson said.
“The ACT Public Service has formal processes for responding to any allegation of misconduct, including sexual assault and we remain committed to providing a safe and inclusive workplace for all staff.
“The processes are guided by the ACT Public Service Code of Conduct and the Public Service Management Act.”
An ACT Government spokesperson has previously cited the same act when Region asked questions about the allegations made about Ms Turnbull-Roberts’ former office, as well as the “small number of staff” who were under her leadership.
“It would not be appropriate to compromise their privacy to provide more detail about employment arrangements,” they said.
“The Commissioner had an important role as the inaugural Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Young People Commissioner for the Territory. She is a passionate advocate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people, and the government wishes her well for her future endeavours.”
Region reached out to Ms Turnbull-Roberts for further comment, both on the allegations she has made and those made against her. She declined.
In her statement, Ms Turnbull-Roberts said she witnessed “extraordinary courage” during her time in the Commissioner role and that her office had made headway into areas such as fighting child sexual exploitation, family policing, statutory out-of-home care and issues with the criminal justice system.
“I am deeply proud of what was built together, shaped by care, courage, and love for our children,” she said.
“I thank the Ngunnawal women and elders who allowed me to walk alongside them. You have guided and supported both me and this work to its very core. I will continue to advocate and support the incredible organisations and people I have had the privilege to work with and get to know, because that’s what matters.
“I acknowledge Ngunnawal and Ngambri peoples as the continuing cultural authorities on their lands, it is they who determine the law of the land, children and the future of their country. We are just visitors.
“To the next Commissioner, I send strength. The work does not end here. It only continues.”















Mark DugganAs much as Hanson is gloating now, she's relying on Rhinehart a lot like Dutton was. View