
Canberra Hospital’s emergency department was visited by a positive measles case earlier this week. Photo: Claire Fenwicke.
The ACT’s health authorities are urging a high alert after a traveller with measles was unknowingly infectious in the community.
Late on Friday (20 February), ACT Government Health and Community Services Directorate (HCSD) confirmed a measles case in a traveller who recently returned from overseas.
“Known contacts are being followed up in line with national guidelines to provide them with appropriate advice,” the spokesperson said.
The person went to several public places while unknowingly infectious, including:
- Hertz Car Rental Agency within the Canberra Airport on Monday (16 February) between 5 pm and 7:30 pm
- Arrivals area (ground level) within the Canberra Airport on Monday (16 February) between 5 pm and 7:30 pm
- Gungahlin Walk-In Centre on 18 February between 3:15 pm and 5:40 pm
- The Emergency Department waiting room within Canberra Hospital on Wednesday (18 February) between 6 pm and 8:30 pm.
The HCSD spokesperson also asked anyone who hasn’t been contacted (and went to the above locations within the given times) to watch for measles symptoms.
These locations do not provide an ongoing risk to Canberrans.
It can take up to 18 days for symptoms to develop.
The highly contagious disease is airborne and spread by coughing or sneezing.
Those symptoms include a fever, tiredness, runny nose, sore and red eyes and a cough.
A non-itchy, blotchy red rash that spreads from the face to the rest of the body is characteristic of the disease.
HCSD advises that, should symptoms develop, people should visit their doctor or health service, including an emergency department.
“Call ahead to let them know that you may have come into contact with measles and wear a face mask when you go,” the spokesperson said.
The HCSD spokesperson also said that if people have not received two doses of the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine (MMR vaccine) or they are unsure if they have, they can contact a GP or pharmacist (for people aged over five years) to receive a measles-containing vaccine.
This works best when given soon after being exposed, usually within 72 hours.
The vaccine is free in the ACT, though an administration fee may apply.
People with a weakened immune system are also asked to call HCSD on (02) 5124 9213, including people receiving chemotherapy or radiotherapy or those on high-dose steroid medications.
People who are pregnant and unvaccinated, or have an infant under 12 months of age, are also asked to call HCSD.
Earlier this month, NSW Health released a list of exposure sites across the Illawarra, Shoalhaven and Southern Highlands regions. These are:
- Blue Jay Cafe in Albion Park on 11 February from 11:05 to 11:50 am
- Bean Roasted Espresso Bar in Calderwood on 11 February from 10:55 to 11:35 am
- Robertson Supermarket and Bottleshop on 10 February from 2:20 to 2:50 pm
- Southern Rise Bakery in Robertson on 10 February from 1:40 to 2:40 pm
- Fitzroy Falls Souvenir Shop on 10 February from 1 pm to 1:40 pm
- Fitzroy Falls on 10 February from 12:25 to 1:45 pm.
It is unknown at this stage if the cases are connected.













