21 February 2026

National Folk Festival's 60th year to hit the high notes

| By Ian Bushnell
Start the conversation

Folk singer Mandy Connell performs at the National Folk Festival launch. Photo: Ian Bushnell.

The countdown to Easter is on for the 60th National Folk Festival at Exhibition Park in Canberra.

The iconic cultural event was launched at BentSpoke Brewpub on Thursday (19 February), appropriate given the Canberra brewer has developed a bespoke beer especially for the Festival, to be held from 2 to 6 April.

The full program, covering a multitude of events and performances, has been finalised and released.

It includes more than 500 events across 13 venues reflecting traditions from Australia and around the world.

There is something for everyone – music, dance, circus and spoken word performances, plus workshops, sessions, family-friendly activities and special collaborative events to celebrate 60 years of bringing together performers and cultures from across Australia and the world.

READ ALSO 7 must-see Canberra destinations for science-obsessed kids

Co-artistic director Michael Sollis said 60 years of the festival had given organisers an opportunity to look back at how it had played such an important role in advocating for causes during times of peace and protest and to look forward to see how that might continue in the future.

He said special events would include a Concert for Peace, curated by Canberra’s award-winning artist Fred Smith and a range of cultural celebrations that include Palestinian line dancing from Dabke & Tatreez, Ukrainian dance music from Mar’yana Jaga Band and Jewish circle dances led by Sydney klezmer group Chutney.

Mr Sollis said it was part of the festival’s mission to focus on what we had in common and celebrate that.

“It’s really easy for us to listen to the headlines, but not remember all the rich culture that underpins all of those different cultural groups and through celebrating the diversity of that, there’s no doubt that we can come to a deeper understanding of one another,” he said.

The big challenge as an artistic director was fitting in all the artists and groups who wanted to perform at the festival.

“What we’re trying to do is to really focus on some of those key ideas around peace and protest and find ways for people to participate,” Mr Sollis said.

While this year’s festival would look back at its history, the eye was definitely on the future with its Young Folk program giving emerging artists an opportunity to show their stuff.

Mr Sollis said many of these performers from past years such as Homebru and Apolline were returning as fully-fledged performers in their own right and working with other artists including Festival Made, where daily collaborations happened almost instantaneously.

“I think the most exciting thing about the folk festival is not knowing what’s on and you just go and discover and you find something that you hadn’t heard before and you’re not expecting, whether it’s on a stage or dancing or singing on the streets,” he said. “You always find something.”

Mr Sollis was looking forward to Italian duo Riccardo Tesi and Giua, a singer and accordion player, because their musicianship “is just divine”.

He said the festival brought some of the best folk instrumentalists from around the world to Canberra and this year was no different.

The Suara Indonesia dancers will be part of a vibrant dance program. Photo: Ian Bushnell.

Dance again would play a big part in the festival and Mr Sollis said a highlight would be the Bushrangers ball on the Sunday night with Melbourne outfit Austral.

Financially, the festival was on a sound footing again after “an amazing job” last year turning the event around by reducing costs and making efficiencies without reducing the vibrancy and the scope of the festival.

Mr Sollis said ticket sales had been going gangbusters this year.

“It’s probably a combination of word of mouth from previous festivals, but also I think that even though there are a lot of economic pressures, families are starting to be more comfortable getting out and spending money on tickets and going to festivals,” he said.

“This festival is such an important part, crucial part of the Canberra cultural landscape, so it’s really heartening to know that people are coming back and will continue to come back.”

READ ALSO Satirical art prize taking aim at the rich, powerful and those in-between names 2026 winner

The festival launch announced this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award recipients, recognising contributions that have shaped Australian folk culture across decades.

Rob and Olya Willis have been acknowledged for their life-long work collecting and preserving Australian folklore, creating an extensive national archive of songs, stories, dance and oral histories.

Martyn Wyndham-Read is recognised for a career dedicated to performing and championing Australian folk music in Australia and internationally, including his early role in the festival’s formative years.

International artists this year include American troubadour and guitarist Steve Poltz and strings whizzes Natalie and Brittany Haas, from California.

Appropriately enough for such a milestone year, Australia’s first family of folk, The Fagans, will all appear.

Festival favourite the Infinite Song Competition will celebrate songs by women from the 1960s.

The National Folk Festival runs from 2 to 6 April. To learn more or grab your tickets, visit their website.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Region Canberra stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.