31 March 2025

Victorian man charged after two teens hit by allegedly stolen car near St Edmund's College

| Albert McKnight
crashed car and police

Two children were hospitalised with serious injuries after being hit by a car near St Edmund’s College on Friday (28 March). Photo: Supplied.

A man from Victoria has been charged with allegedly driving a car that was stolen from NSW into two schoolchildren in Canberra, resulting in what police described as a “confronting scene”.

The 31-year-old from Warrenheip, near Ballarat, has been handed numerous charges including two counts of negligent driving occasioning grievous bodily harm over allegedly causing the horrific incident.

It is alleged the man stole a green Holden Commodore station wagon from a childcare centre in Victoria Street in Sutton, north of the ACT, about 7:40 am on Friday (28 March).

He allegedly drove off while an eight-year-old girl was still in the back seat of the car, but stopped and she got out unharmed about 100 metres down the road.

The car was last seen heading towards the ACT.

READ ALSO Ex-police officer Kristian White avoids jail when sentenced for tasering Clare Nowland

About 9 o’clock that morning, emergency services in the Territory heard the car had collided with another vehicle before hitting two teenage pedestrians in Canberra Avenue outside St Edmund’s College.

The alleged driver and sole occupant of the car, the 31-year-old man, is then said to have driven off before coming to a stop in Canberra Avenue near the Manuka shops.

“He then allegedly attempted to flee on foot but was detained by members of the public before being arrested by police,” an ACT Policing spokesperson said.

Police said the man had been caught by nearby tradespeople and was taken to hospital under police guard.

The boys, aged 14 and 15 and both students from St Edmund’s, were transported to Canberra Hospital, both in a serious condition.

One had to undergo surgery.

On Saturday morning (29 March), an ACT Policing spokesperson said the 31-year-old man had been charged with several offences.

These included unlicensed driving, driving a motor vehicle without consent, dangerous driving and two counts of negligent driving occasioning grievous bodily harm.

He was expected to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court later on Saturday.

READ ALSO Man extradited from Western Australia over alleged nightclub assault

“ACT Policing acknowledges that the collision outside St Edmund’s College would have been a confronting scene for witnesses,” the police spokesperson said.

“We encourage anyone who witnessed that incident to seek professional support.

“Major Collision Team investigators continue to urge anyone who may have footage of the vehicle or who witnessed the incident yesterday morning to come forward.”

The spokesperson said it was believed the car travelled from Sutton and possibly through Queanbeyan, then into the ACT between 7:40 am and 9:10 am on Friday.

If you have information or footage, contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the  Crime Stoppers ACT website by clicking here. Quote 8007241.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Region Canberra stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.