11 February 2025

Light rail forces city businesses to change track as project impacts hit home

| Ian Bushnell
Join the conversation
42
oman outside cafe

The Cupping Room manager Rachel Amper says the situation is nerve-wracking. Photos: Ian Bushnell.

At least two businesses have closed their doors and are pivoting to functions-only and some are considering claiming compensation as they confront the reality of work starting on the light rail extension along London Circuit.

Major Projects Canberra closed off London Circuit at Northbourne Avenue and Edinburgh Avenue on 5 February. Fencing, barriers and signage have gone up and trucks and machinery are positioned on the street.

Prominent restaurant Saint Malo has decided the disruption will be too much for the business and it and associated bar Alia will now just cater for functions such as weddings and other events until the worst is over.

Venue manager Asad Panezai said that could take two to three years, but the business expected to survive on the functions trade.

Mr Panezai said the conditions from the light rail construction would have been intolerable for their customers.

“There’s no parking, and because the work’s going to be 24 hours, the pollution and the dust and the smoke from the machines working outside on the streets, there would not be a healthy environment for the customers to be sitting inside and eating food,” he said.

READ ALSO ACT business outlook gloomy for 2025 as rising costs and red tape take their toll

The business had been in talks with the ACT Government but, in the end, did not see any point in keeping the restaurant and bar open as per usual.

“They did not say anything, did not give us any compensation regarding that, so we had no choice,” he said.

Mr Panezai said the situation was still sinking in.

“Some of us will face it from next week and this week will be the last week of us operating as a restaurant,” he said.

Saint Malo restaurant exterior

Saint Malo restaurant and the nearby bar Alia are switching to functions for the duration of the light rail construction.

Saint Malo would still offer a food truck at the back of their premises Monday to Friday so the place won’t look completely dead.

“We are still trying to keep that vibe alive,” Mr Panezai said.

He said some full-time staff had left, but the casuals would still be on call for events.

Mr Panezai said that when light rail was up and running, it would be good for business.

“Yeah, it should be. Obviously, they are doing something, they say they are doing something, for the Canberra economy and for people’s commute,” he said.

light rail construction

Calm before the storm: The scene along London Circuit looking south towards Edinburgh Avenue.

Further down the street at The Cupping Room, cafe manager Rachel Amper is anxious about the next two or so years. The full impacts on business, on top of the already tough hospitality environment, have yet to be felt.

She is bracing for the loss of outdoor seating on London Circuit.

“It’s very nerve-wracking, especially because there’s so much changing,” she said.

“At the moment, we have it really good with the barricades being far away from the cafe, but I do know that’s temporary. Eventually, they’re going to move the barricades … and we’ll have to move all of our tables, which is a big change for us.”

When work gets underway properly, she will have to close the front door to seal the cafe off and redirect customers to the side and rear entrances.

The loss of parking worries Ms Amper and she is guiding customers to other spaces nearby.

The construction period will be a long time, but the business has survived COVID, and it hopes to have some strategies in place to keep its customers, including possible discounts to compensate them for paid parking.

light rail construction signs

The signs are up, guiding pedestrian traffic.

Ms Amper said an Infrastructure Canberra official had been in contact and made the process less terrifying than it could have been.

She said the official wanted to hear feedback on how the work was impacting the cafe – if it was too loud and dusty, and how it affected the customer base.

“But it’s just the beginning, so we don’t really know how that will progress and if that will change in the future,” Ms Amper said.

She was aware that other businesses were considering making compensation claims, but it was too early for the Cupping Room to talk about that.

“I know that it has been in the talks, especially with a few of the cafes down the road, mainly because they’re open during the night and some of the works happen during the night,” Ms Amper said.

READ ALSO Let Bar Beirut’s vegetarian menu inspire your own Meatless Monday dinners

She said it was a good thing that the business was so adaptable.

“We want to make sure people know that this sucks for everybody, but we’re still here for you. We give you good service regardless of everything that’s happening outside,” Ms Amper said.

But once light rail was built, it would be great for business, she said.

“Light rail will be incredible,” Ms Amper said.

“We do know light rail will be the best thing for this part of town, which doesn’t get that much traffic during the day.”

Join the conversation

42
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
LatestOldest

To all you miserable, penny-pinching old naysayers infesting local media moaning about Light rail and a better transport system for Canberra into the future, Gungahlin, Civic and Commonwealth Park are just the start!

Woden and Tuggeranong, I can’t wait!
https://youtu.be/gKTaLL4ZvYA

“…, I can’t wait!”. I am afraid you are just going to have to wait. A couple of decades at least by the looks of it!

Apparently robust economic analysis to assess project feasibility is now “penny pinching”.

Instead of constant negativity and whinging, you could more productively address the actual points raised if you wanted to be taken seriously. As for waiting Jack, considering your freely admitted age, you sure you’ll be around that long?

Strange that you were silent last week when the billion dollar deficit was announced, did they give you some extra time off from Labor HQ?

Thanks for that rather inane and irrelevant comment DJA. Our city has suffered for nearly 100 years with a public transport network that lacks investment and has never been fit for purpose. Now we have the potential to catch up with other cities around the country who have benefited over many years from federal government investment to expand their public transport networks.
I grew up in Canberra prior to self-government and remember our transport network and the lack of federal investment. Listening to out of state politicians putting down our city and the contempt they held towards our citizens. Pandering to their electorates and baulking at any opportunity to invest in our city’s future growth. They continue to do so.

Now we have self-government and local politicians committed to bettering our city and expanding our public transport network to potentially be the best in the country. I don’t care whether I am around to see its benefits, as long as our future generations do!

No one’s arguing against improving our public transport network Jack.

The choices simply aren’t light rail or nothing as you seem to be suggesting.

If the project and chosen solution has merit, the ACT government should be able to articulate that within the well defined infrastructure funding assessment guidelines that are used to identify projects for priority federal funding.

A robust options study and business case are bare minimums for anyone interested in good planning and economic management.

As for the rest of your comment, government budgets at all levels are facing significant strain, surely you aren’t suggesting spending money on projects with poor economic returns just because you like or will vote for a specific project?

There’s a name for that.

Public transport is for poors.

Oh chewy you are so amusing, how did I guess that you would be one of the first to respond!

You are so predictable!

Jack D,

LOL

I’ll just quote someone above:

“Thanks for that rather inane and irrelevant comment”

Once again, Instead of constant negativity and whinging, you could more productively address the actual points raised if you wanted to be taken seriously.

But of course we know you won’t do that, wonder what ALP HQ will have you cook up today.

One does not need to be a political staffer or work in Labor Pary HQ to take on the likes of chewy!

Thanks for that rather inane and irrelevant comment

“Once again, Instead of constant negativity and whinging, you could more productively address the actual points raised if you wanted to be taken seriously.”

Taking on? LOL.

Leon Arundell1:36 pm 12 Feb 25

The good news is that the stage 2a business case projects that when stage 2a is completed it will reduce traffic delays by reducing daily network car travel in 2046 by 0.1% [from 19,098,317 km (base case) to 19.087,237 km]. The bad news is that traffic delays would continue through the construction of stage 2b, and that stage 2 as a whole would increase congestion by increasing car travel by 0.2% [from 18,660,732 km (base case) to 18,694,475 km].

Mr Miserableness himself, moaning and scrimping about light rail costs! With so much time on his hands, often seen lurking around light rail stops with a time watch in his hands!

Is there a life that exists outside social media and RiotAct for these sorry sacks!

He didn’t once mention costs there, “Jack D”.

Is that all the ACT Labor social media teams script had arguments for today?

All could’ve been avoided if they went for an upgraded bus system. Look at Brisbane Metro for example. Double bendy buses carrying 170 people using existing and some newly constructed roads . 21km in length costing $1.5 billion, or about the same as Stage 1, which is 13km in length. Buses running every five minutes as well. If a bus breaks down, another is sent to replace it. Plans are to integrate the Metro with existing routes, from the outer suburbs. Easier to do than build tram lines.

All public transport fees in Brisbane, have been reduced to 50 cents per trip and patronage has soared, removing many vehicles from the road.

Barr wants a legacy and he wants it to be the tram. Actually it will be massive rate increases and turning ACT Health from being one the best, if not the best, to arguably the worst in the country.

Good job Andy.

Leon Arundell1:45 pm 12 Feb 25

Why would the ACT Government want to build bus rapid transit when it could get almost exactly the same benefits for us by pouring hundreds of millions of extra dollars into the coffers of the six companies (none of which is based in Canberra) that own Canberra Metro?

The legacy is actually Rattenbury’s, no Rattenbury, no Chief Minister Barr, he would have been parachuted to the Feds by now.

Canberra Engineer9:27 am 12 Feb 25

That end of town has been quieter for a while. The Cupping Room is usually half empty with a shrinking menu. It used to be packed. The other businesses are quiet too. Bet they’re using light rail to angle for cash or scapegoat why they’re already failing

Did you ever think that it was quieter because of the major construction activities to support light rail that have been occurring nearby for the last 2.5 years?

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Region Canberra stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.