
Detective Acting Inspector Mark Battye speaks to the media on Wednesday about the recent shootings. Photo: Albert McKnight.
Police say it is lucky no one has been killed after a series of targeted shootings were carried out across Canberra, injuring two people and killing a pet dog.
There were four shooting incidents across the ACT last week, which police believe were conducted by three men and were all targeted attacks.
“I’m concerned somebody is going to get killed if people aren’t apprehended and this firearm isn’t taken away from people,” Detective Acting Inspector Mark Battye said on Wednesday (2 April).
“Someone knows who these people are. We need to know who they are.”
Last Wednesday (25 March), shots were fired at a house on Knox Street, Watson.
A gun was fired inside a home in Greenway on Thursday (27 March), resulting in minor ricochet injuries to one male occupant in the home.
On Friday (28 March), a firearm was discharged multiple times in a home in Downer, killing a pet dog.
Then, on Saturday evening (29 March), the offenders went into the same home on Knox Street and discharged a firearm into a man’s torso, which required surgical treatment.
“We’re keeping an open mind as to why this is occurring; however, we believe the victims are targeted for theft of particular items,” Detective Acting Inspector Battye said.
“We’re yet to get to the bottom of the victims’ accounts and that is probably due to some of them are suffering injuries requiring treatment and pain relief.
“Some of the victims haven’t been entirely forthcoming. We’re trying to get to the bottom of what’s occurred.”
He said police believe the same three adult males were responsible for all the shootings, although all the offenders in the incidents were “well covered”, so police currently did not know their identities.
“One of them is using a long-armed rifle and has clearly discharged that rifle at persons in their homes and at people, causing injuries,” he said.
“We’re really fortunate that no one’s been killed.”
He said each of the four shootings involved three offenders, a similarly-described firearm and the offenders’ conduct at each incident was “quite similar”.
“We don’t see a lot of shooting problems in Canberra where people are shot at and where firearms are discharged at homes. It is quite unique,” he said.
“That’s why we take this really seriously.”
As a result of the shootings, police executed search warrants in Belconnen and Watson on Tuesday (1 April).
“Items have been seized from those search warrants, and they’re being assessed for relevance to the investigation,” Detective Acting Inspector Battye said.
He also said that during the investigation, a person was arrested in Fyshwick on Tuesday and was handed drug and fraud-related charges.
This person faced the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday (2 April) and was refused bail.
Detective Acting Inspector Battye said police did not believe these four shootings were linked to organised crime or bike gangs, nor to the shootings in Lyneham and Florey last month.
Also, he said police believe the broader community was not at risk as the four shootings were targeted attacks.
“This behaviour is not tolerated in our community, and we need people in our community to help us solve this,” he said.
If you can assist police, contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via the Crime Stoppers ACT. Quote reference number 8008707.
@Penfold Did you actually read my post or have you just decided to go off in an irrelevant tangent… View